WELCOME TO BLOGTOBER!!! We are kicking off the month with a post on the popular trend among minimalists and shopping addicts alike: the n0-buy.
Chances are, most of you already know what a ‘No-Buy’ is. If you are not familiar with the term, it refers to a period of time where you go cold turkey with your shopping habit… It essentially comes down to refraining from buying anything for a set period of time. It may be limited to no beauty buys, no fashion buys, etc.
The buzz we get from shopping can be addictive, and before we know it we associate buying things with feeling good. No matter how many things you purchase, there will always be another sale, another brand to try, another op shop. If we do not learn to appreciate the things we already own, we may begin to experience anxiety or a sense of emptiness and feeling either that we don’t have enough, or that we are overwhelmed with the amount that we do have. By practicing gratitude, we can cultivate more joy and meaning from what we already own, instead of promoting a sense of anxiety and “not-enough-ness” by focusing on what we DO NOT have.
Your focus determines your reality – Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars references, anyone??)
Here are 7 reasons why YOU need to try a No-Buy.
- Extra cash saved. Obvious, but true. While I am pretty good at sticking to a budget, I’m almost always willing to do some creative accounting to justify spending money on products that I don’t really need. (eg: ANOTHER neutral brown eyeshadow…) If you tot the amount saved in, say, a month of no beauty shopping, you may be surprised! What would you do with the money you’d save? For me that means either travel money or yoga classes!
- Breaking a bad habit. The amount of awareness you bring to this experiment will determine the benefits you get from it. It is an opportunity to look at why you have the impulse to shop in the first place, and some of the emotions attached to that. If it were easy, everybody would do it.
- Joy, abundance and appreciation. Grattitude is a very powerful tool that can be used to increase joy in your life. Gratitude is the path to abundance. Find little ways to appreciate what you already have. We described things that are well-used as “well-loved” for a reason. Are there makeup products or clothes that you have been neglecting? Now’s the time to show them some love.
- More creativity! Naturally, we begin to think of new ways we can use the things we already own. See the possibilities in everyday objects and explore new uses for old favourites. Fire up those synapses and let your ingenuity shine!
- Sense of freedom and well-being. It sounds corny, but being on a no-buy gives you some brain space and allows you to live in the present moment! Rather than racing forward in your mind to all the things you want, you can pay attention to what you already have. The more things we own, the more cluttered our life becomes. It is easy to become burdened and snowed under!So breathe easy and welcome more space in your life.
- It creates more time for you to spend with loved ones or pets, in nature, or nurturing yourself with music, DIY spa day or a good book. How many hours do you spend scrolling through online shops, watching youtube videos, and lusting after unnecessary things? Find liberation! It may take some time to sink in, but it is very refreshing to feel that you have enough, right now in this moment.